WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A WEB DESIGNER AND A WEB DEVELOPER?
WHAT IS WEB DESIGN?
When you hear the term web design you tend to think of the process by which a website is developed and built. This is true and very important to the overall success of your website. Within the process of designing the website designers need to focus on several key topics. Most of which pertain to the overall success of the site both in search engines and converting visitors into paying customers. Most websites have the goal of gaining the attention of an online audience and in turn creating a new source of lead generation for your companies products and services. As a web designer it is important to think about how the website is laid out, or in other words how a perspective visitor will navigate through the site and what "hot-spots" they will be attracted to.
This makes sense right? One of the most important aspects of a well designed website is how a visitor will interact with your site. Designers tend to focus on creating call to actions or CTA's which are "hot-spots" on the site where a visitor can click to directly contact your company for their products or services. There are many factors that effect what goes into creating and effective CTA such as: color, size, location, surrounding elements, and visibility. Many designers will often add animations or other subtle visual keys to draw the attention of a visitor to that particular CTA.
WHY YOU SHOULD NOT USE A DIY WEBSITE BUILDER
One of the most frequently asked questions we get is "Why shouldn't we use Wix or Squarespace?". One of the most simple and direct answers to this is they don't provide what your company needs. Companies like Wix or Squarespace are known as proprietary website builders. This put into simple terms means your website will only be up and running if you continue to pay for their services. In addition to this your website will not be movable (transferable to a new domain or hosting provider). Another reason why it is important for you to consider hiring a professional company is that your website is not fully customizable. Most website builders are limited in that they come pre-baked with templates and components and in turn you are unable to create a site that truly is built for your company.
At Garrow Media LLC we specialize in creating whole web solutions for companies, providing everything from search engine optimization (which is nearly impossible with diy website builders) to email hosting and search engine marketing. One of the most important aspects of building a successful website is ensuring that your company ranks as high as possible for the correct audience by optimizing your websites content and code to be easily understood by search engines. Click here to learn more about website optimization and SEO.
The final reason why it is better to hire a professional designer is cost. As a company it is important to continue to make money by finding reliable leads and converting customers. While sites like Wix and Squarespace offer low priced options for designing a website, it is often overlooked the time investment it takes to run and manage a website. Lets say Company A chooses to use Square Space to develop their site and Company B chooses to hire a professional designer.
Company A has an employee who is taking time away from his daily tasks with customers to develop and design a website that may or may not rank on search engines. This in turn costs the company money by taking a staff member away from preforming essential tasks for customers. Lets take a look at some of the pros and cons.
- Moderately easy to understand website builder
- Low cost
- Pre-baked themes
- No search engine optimization
- Not very customizable
- Forms are generic and cannot be custom built for your needs
- Weekly / Monthly time commitment from a member of your own staff
- You do not own your website
- Little to no customized graphics (without hiring an outside designer)
- Making changes takes time away from customer services
Company B has hired a professional design company to design and develop their website. While the design firm is designing the website all members of Company B's staff are able to assist customers and aid in converting new leads. If Company B needs an aspect of the website changed they would then send it to the web developer to have the change optimized and correctly coded into their customized layout. In addition to this small changes to the website can take very little time by an experienced designer, whereas in a pre-baked website builder changes may entail changing and re-arranging several aspects of the site. One of the services we offer in addition to web development and design is graphic design. This means that if Company B needs a custom website graphic, our in house designers can create and edit those graphics readily. One of the last benefits of hiring a professional firm is the ability advertise on search engines with the help of our certified search engine marketing specialists. Let's look at some of the pros and cons of hiring a firm such as Garrow Media LLC.
- Websites are fully customizable for your products or services
- In-house design allows us to send several site composites (mock-ups) to help us build the perfect site for you
- Professionally trained web developers with years of experience
- professional website optimization
- Domain specific email hosting (email@example.com)
- Certified search engine marketing specialists
- Professional phone number forwarding and call tracking
- Certified search engine marketing specialists
- Changes to the website do not take away time from customers.
- Customized web traffic analytics to track visitors and conversions on your website
- All sites are designed to be mobile ready (ready for smart-phone browsers)
- Online Business Listing setup (Yelp, Yellowpages, Google Business LBL's)
- More Expensive - The cost of having a company manage your web domain is generally more expensive than using a site such as Wix or Squarespace. This cost is mostly offset by the value that ranking higher and converting more customers.
More Customers = More Money.
Contact us today if you would like to learn more about Garrow Media LLC and our in-house web design solutions.